After I had my daughter, I rethought my career direction; I ran a successful branding agency, but felt a lack of purpose was missing from my career, so I took a year out to train as a coach with a focus on life purpose in the hope of finding my own along the way, which thankfully I did. But I found out more about myself that year than ever, one of which is I’m an empath. All my life I’ve been highly sensitive to the emotions of others and now I could but a name it to. So what are the main signs you many be an empath and how can it help you in your business?
- You don’t have the same energetic filters as other people: you take in an awful lot of what is going on around you. You’re not just sensitive to emotions but noises, smells and those people who don’t stop talking. The lack of filters means you often take on the pain of those you care about as your own. You feel their pain WITH them.
- You need time alone to destress: your lack of filters means that you’re susceptible to A LOT more energy than normal people (good or bad) so you need time alone to decompress and focus on your own energy.
- People turn to you for advice: you have a more developed insight and understanding of people; so, you’re often sought out by friends, family – and even strangers – for advice. Empaths are generally very good listeners, so people feel comfortable sharing their problems. Though sometimes it can leave you feeling like an Agony Aunt!
You may sometimes feel like being an empath is a bit of a raw deal, it’s easy to become overwhelmed and you have to work harder not to be affected by negative energy. BUT in business, this ability is a HUGE asset, so let’s get to the good stuff. Here are the 5 secret powers that empaths have in business:
- You can get into your client’s heads: this is a biggy. I find this is my biggest advantage as empath in my business, I often know how my clients are feeling before they can articulate it themselves. It allows me to create solid brands and strategies for my clients that are really, truly them.
- Laser focus: Empaths find it easier to focus on one task at a time and not let their entire to do list run away with them. Fully focusing on one thing at a time allows us to do them to the best of our ability.
- Your intuition is STRONG: ever just have a gut feeling about something or someone and you just KNEW you were right? That’s your intuition talking, and as an empath it’s less of a whisper and more of a roar. You pick up on things a lot of people don’t.
- You can see the bigger picture: you can see the potential in people when they can’t. You can help them figure out their biggest dreams and help them to accomplish them. I help my clients show up as the best version of themselves and I can often see that person even if they can’t.
- You can connect with your audience: You find it easy to connect with people on a deeper level.
I use my abilities as an empath every day in my business, it really helps me connect with my clients and deliver solid strategies. Being an empath has so many great advantages in business, I’d love to hear from other empaths and the advantages you've found it brings to your business.